[extropy-chat] Original Sin was Bioethics Essay

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed May 25 05:23:18 UTC 2005

--- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Jesus corrected his fathers
> action and gave us
> everlasting life, as any Christian knows. He died to
> reopen the gates
> of heaven to man, which man had been barred from
> since Adam was cast
> out of Eden. That was the whole point of Christ
> dying on the cross for
> man.
>
> Therefore, we have Christ's blessing to genetically
> engineer.

     Spoken like a true Taoarist, Mike. :) Since all
things bound by space-time are neither purely good nor
evil but have the potential to be used for either by
free-willed agents like ourselves, the knowledge of
good and evil pretty much covers everything under the
sun and beyond it. More importantly however it is an
understanding of consequences. Thus the Tree of
Knowledge of Good and Evil could easily have been
called the Tree of Karma.

John 1:12- But as many as received him, to them gave
he power to become the sons of God, even to them that
believe on his name.

Sons of God? I think God is quite over feeling
insecure about us trying to eat of the Tree of Life
and be LIKE him. As long as we are willing to bear the
CONSEQUENCES, we can do ANYTHING. But because God can
change his mind at any time, I think it wise to be
humble and watch out for those consequences, they can
be TRICKY.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson