[extropy-chat] economics of scarcity to economics of plenty

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Nov 1 12:15:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 03:43:30AM -0800, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> If technology has moved along and your skills are obsolete and/or
> available much cheaper than you can stay afloat on and re-training is
> not available, not affordable or you just can't seem to hack the new
> stuff you could be a bit blocked.

There are no old programmers in IT. Exceptions prove the rule.
(There are old hands in IT, but they're not programmers).

I don't understand how retraining is being offered as an
option if everyone at the bottom is in debt staying where they are, working
three jobs at minimum wage. Most of us here are sheltered
(or we wouldn't be here in the first place) but please don't
extrapolate from a skewed sample.