[extropy-chat] economics of scarcity to economics of plenty

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Nov 1 23:15:17 UTC 2005

On Nov 1, 2005, at 4:15 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 03:43:30AM -0800, Samantha Atkins wrote:
>

>> If technology has moved along and your skills are obsolete and/or
>> available much cheaper than you can stay afloat on and re-training is
>> not available, not affordable or you just can't seem to hack the new
>> stuff you could be a bit blocked.
>>

> There are no old programmers in IT. Exceptions prove the rule.
> (There are old hands in IT, but they're not programmers).

Exception prove that the "rule" is bogus nonsense like most over-
generalizations.   It is true I am more often called "Principle
Architect" or "Computer Scientist" lately but I still design and
implement systems.  I have been doing so for 26 years.  I am now
51.   Some people might call that "old".   After they pick themselves
up from the ground we get on with business.  :-)

> I don't understand how retraining is being offered as an
> option if everyone at the bottom is in debt staying where they are,
> working
> three jobs at minimum wage. Most of us here are sheltered
> (or we wouldn't be here in the first place) but please don't
> extrapolate from a skewed sample.

True.

- samantha