[extropy-chat] economics of scarcity to economics of plenty

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Wed Nov 2 00:51:57 UTC 2005

Samantha wrote:

>>There are no old programmers in IT. Exceptions prove the rule.
>>(There are old hands in IT, but they're not programmers).
>
>Exception prove that the "rule" is bogus nonsense like most over-
>generalizations.   It is true I am more often called "Principle
>Architect" or "Computer Scientist" lately but I still design and
>implement systems.  I have been doing so for 26 years.  I am now
>51.   Some people might call that "old".   After they pick
>themselves up from the ground we get on with business.  :-)

Ditto, although I'm a little younger and have been programming a
little longer (32 years). I also know quite a few people in their
fifties or sixties who work as individual contributors on programming teams.

There is an abiding prejudice against hiring engineers over forty
that has been around for at least half a century.  Nonetheless, there
are a lot of us out there.

I do get grouchy when a headhunter or HR weenie who clearly has not
read my resume asks me if I have any experience with, say, databases.
(Yes, you moron. Since before you were born.)

-- David.