[extropy-chat] economics, scarcity, and plenty

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Wed Nov 2 16:37:00 UTC 2005

Jef Allbright wrote:

>But what happens when the conditions of our environment improve to the
>level that our basic needs are met?
>         :
>It's still the same scale, but the focus is changed to better match
>the environment, and the nature of the actions reflect that change.
>As others have pointed out, we will still compete:  for attention,
>mind-share, more successful ideas winning over those less successful,
>but the focus will be qualitatively and substantially different.

Part of what's being ignored in this iteration of a perennial thread
is that our concept of "basic needs" has changed throughout human
history and will continue to do so.

Is the need for food or for parasite-free, non-rancid food? Is health
care a need? At what level of care? Not dying in childbirth due to
sepsis or not dying ever? Clothing? Education? Enough warmth at night
to not freeze, not shiver, or sleep comfortably?

Economics will both describe our interaction over all Maslovian
levels in an MNT future and the continued material scarcity in such
an existence. Natasha wants to transform Iapetus into a sculpture but
Amara hasn't finished studying it. Robert wants to add on to his
Matrioshka brain while Keith wants to send out a quintillion or so
copies of himself to explore the universe.

-- David.