[extropy-chat] Extropic Freedom and the Fate of Dissidents

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Thu Nov 3 17:16:38 UTC 2005

At 02:26 PM 11/1/2005, David wrote:
>Max wrote:
>
>>How does that prove your claim? You think that because several businesses
>>have or are using "EXI' that we have no rights to ExI? That's mistaken.
>>No one else that I checked is using it in a context that is likely to
>>cause confusion with our organization.
>
>You don't have a registered federal trademark for ExI, while in fact
>several other organizations do, including EXi Corp.
>
>For that matter, I see no registered federal trademarks owned by either
>Extropy Institute or Max More.

An incorporation means that the name of a business is registered with the
Secretary of State and legally "incorporated" with Articles of
Incorporation.  When anyone files for a new business, he or she must check
with the Secretary of State to make sure that the name is not already
incorporated.  The Secretary of State's office very carefully checks all
business names to make sure no one is using the name of another business to
conduct the same or a similar business.  The law states that a person must
determine the Availability of a Company Name. Search Name Availability to
ensure that your newly formed corporation or business name is not already
used by another business entity. The Name Availability search will help you
avoid corporation name conflicts and ensure that your company name is
distinct.

Branding is another form of producing and marketing a business name and
product or service.  Once this has occurred, it is bad business practice to
use a name that has already been branded.  In most cases, it is not done
out of common sense and professional courtesy.  In other cases, some people
may do this to produce a negative outcome and if it damages the original
business in a way that affects its products, services and well being in the
community, it can become a legal action and these are most often settled
out of court wherein the infringing party coughs up a lot of money and
backs off having lost good standing in the public eye and produced a lot of
bad feelings and even enemies, which is not a smart business practice.

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
Cultural Strategist - Designer
Future Studies, University of Houston
President, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute
Member, <http://www.profuturists.com/>Association of Professional Futurists
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture
Honorary Vice-Chair, <http://transhumanism.org/>World Transhumanist
Association
Senior Associate, <http://foresight.org/>Foresight Institute
Advisor, <http://alcor.org/>Alcor Life Extension Foundation

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the circle,
then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what is inside the
circle and everything outside the circle, then that is an open system
perspective.
Buckminster Fuller