[extropy-chat] Gen X amnesia

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Nov 5 20:46:06 UTC 2005

At 12:00 PM 11/5/2005 -0800, spike wrote:

>Angela Davis.  I went to wikipedia, learned
>that she was the big-haired person who wanted to do
>away with prisons.  Hmmmmm, ok Angela, that sounds
>like a great plan, lets go right out and do that...
>
>Not.

A quote from her at the wiki:
"Imprisonment has become the response of first resort to far too many of
our social problems."
Oddly, this sounds rather like your own complaint the other day, Spike.
Can't find it now, but weren't you pointing out that we need the skills and
labor power of the vast numbers imprisoned for victimless "crimes"? That
would be a start. The value of jails in confining the bad bastards is
presumably in isolating them from the rest of us for a time; the obvious
fact that this hardens some and instructs all of them in better methods and
motives for further crime suggests that doing away with today's prisons and
finding better methods isn't really all that silly.

Damien Broderick