[extropy-chat] Re: riots in france

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 7 02:08:35 UTC 2005

> Dirk said:
> >Obviously.
>
> > It is evidence of a religiously (self) defined self ghettoising and
> generally racially distinct underclass that may well be a permanent
> feature of the European landscape.
> Dirk

The burning-suburb dwellers are claiming that these
riots are not about religion.  They want the French
government to stop sending imams, that this is about
persistent poverty.

Interesting if true.  When the fly-in occurred on
9-11, a lot of us assumed it was about poverty in
the middle east, destitute souls fighting back
against the evil rich guys in New York.  But then
we learned that those particular jihaders were
not particularly poor.  Now when the marshmallow
roast starts up in France, we assumed it was a
jihad.  Come to find out these rioters are not
claiming to be particularly religious.

It is quite the puzzle.  But one can only feel
pity for the French: sitting over there unarmed,
with their own police force evidently helpless
to stop this madness.