[extropy-chat] Re: riots in france

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 01:59:07 UTC 2005

On 11/7/05, Jack Parkinson <isthatyoujack at icqmail.com> wrote:

> Dirk said:
> >Obviously.
> >If they weren't particularly integrated you wouldn't know them.
> >Let me guess - those Moslems were well educated middle class
> professionals?
>
> > It is evidence of a religiously (self) defined self ghettoising and
> generally racially distinct underclass that may well be a permanent
> feature
> of the European landscape.
> Dirk
>
> A 'self ghettoising and generally racially distinct underclass' - this
> appears to put the onus squarely onto these people I think.
>
> Isn't it just an exercise in shifting blame?

It's an observation.
However, one of the fundamental features of real integration is
intermarriage.
For example, our Black population is intermarrying at an estimated 25-40%
per generation.
Why isn't this happening with Moslems?
It wasn't Blacks who blew up the trains in London.

Any 'middle-class professional' of any race or creed must find it a lot
> easier to integrate and achieve acceptance in a new country. Perhaps we
> should condemn the poor for their effrontery in not being middle-class and
> having a decent degree?

All the poor? Or only the poor who will not enter the mainstream of European
life?
It's not about poverty, but *culture*.

Generalizations about Moslems are worthless. PEOPLE (of any race or creed)
> live in ghettos in any part of the world where they feel the need to
> support
> each other against a hostile environment. If the environment is not
> ostile - the ghettoes disappear. There are no Moslem ghettoes in
> Australia,
> or China for that matter - and NOT coincidentally there is a general
> acceptance and tolerance between Moslem/Christian/Buddhists in these
> places.

And officially no moslem ghettoes in Britain - just places where
disproportionate percentages of them live.

If that peace should suddenly shatter because a few fundamentalists start
> start lobbing explosives, we might start to see a similar situation to the
> one developing in Europe and the US...
> Jack Parkinson

AIUI China does have a problem with Moslem extremists.
http://www.satribune.com/archives/apr11_17_04/P1_ziad.htm
However, the Chinese response to such unrest as is occurring in France would
be long spells in the gulag or a bullet in the back of the neck

As for Australia, perhaps that has escaped the problems of Britain and
France.
The main difference (possibly) is that British Moslems are, in bulk, of
mainly Pakistani origin and culture. Those of France N African.
People tend to ghettoise with those who share language and culture. Maybe
this has not happened to a large extent with Moslems in Australia because of
their diverse cultural backgrounds and languages.

Dirk