[extropy-chat] Re: riots in france

Jack Parkinson isthatyoujack at icqmail.com
Mon Nov 7 15:37:07 UTC 2005

Dirk wrote:
>one of the fundamental features of real integration is intermarriage.
>For example, our Black population is intermarrying at an estimated 25-40%
>per generation.
>Why isn't this happening with Moslems?

I agree about intermarriage - this is an absolute hallmark of true
integration. However it takes a generation or two to achieve. While the
parents have the hang ups and cultural prejudices - the kids just do what
comes naturally.

Interesting examples - Afghan (Moslem) camel trains opened up the interior
of Australia a century or more ago - and Moslems were the founding fathers
and respected elder citizens of pioneer towns like Alice Springs.  The
Liddle family which owns vast tracts of Central Australia today (truly
Texas-sized vast) is directly descended from these pioneers and is Afghan,
Scots and Aboriginal (in about equal proportions).

Further north, the black Chinese Ah Mat family hold corporate sway in the
tropical regions of Australia's Northern Territory (part Aboriginal, part
English, mostly Chinese) - and at least one family member was in the local
parliament when I was last there. Both these families are at least part
Moslem.

Australia is an excellent example of a place where Moslems have intermarried
for several generations and continue to do so now. There are (or have
recently been) a number of distinguished Moslems in the legislature, and
this group is represented at every level in society.
I met my first Irish Moslem in Australia - and this type of cross-cultural
marriage is common enough to be quite unremarkable, the intermixing is over
a century old - by way of comparison, black/white liaisons were severely
frowned upon in England up to at least the early 1960's.

This does not mean everything is lightness and joy - there are a few Moslem
fundamentalists inciting hate in Australia too.

The trouble is - remarks like:

>It wasn't Blacks who blew up the trains in London.

Fall quite clearly into the 'hate' category as far as I can see... This kind
of generalized remark about an entire group simply makes the ignorant
assumption of homogeneity where heterogeneity demonstrably exists.

Any statement that begins: 'All Moslems/blacks/Irish/Poles... (insert
favorite despised minority here) is just a confession of personal prejudice,
bigotry and ignorance...

Damien mentioned fundamentalist zealots like Sheik Abdul Salam Mohammed
Zoud, currently inciting violence and dissent in Australian mosques. He is a
bigoted, ignorant, hostile blight on his religion if ever there was one. But
you can no more condemn all Moslems for his failings than you can condemn
all Catholics for the inquisition. People like him should be deported - if
not jailed (inciting racial/religious violence is a serious offence in
Australia) But we should be wary of 'collateral damage' when imputing the
motives of individuals and aberrant groups to whole sections of the
community.

Ok - end of rant - but how many times must this point be made? Historically,
we have had this lesson rammed home time after time in the last hundred
years. If even intelligent people continue to be seduced by the easy
transference of blame to 'them' - then the next horrific genocide just looms
that bit closer...
Jack Parkinson