Molecular manfacturing Re: [extropy-chat] Re: riots in France

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Thu Nov 10 05:44:35 UTC 2005

Damien Broderick wrote:

> Maybe dead-cheap molecular manufacture will end such strife,
> but I stand by my gloomy prediction in THE SPIKE a decade or
> so back that what we'll see is a planet of Color Gang Wars and
> the like among those for whom life retains no discipline or meaning
> outside of arbitrary local status and violence.

I think that if it were considered to be an imminently realizable
threat (or promise), dead-cheap molecular manufacture for the
masses would be opposed by empowered minorities as though
their existing privileges, their future economic aspirations and
even their lives depended on it.

The first thought of empowered minorities would probably be
how could they own and control this imminent efficient means
of  manufacturing exclusively; the second thought when they
recognized that they could not, would be that it would be
better to ban it completely so as to ensure that none of their
competitors or enemies would end up with it either.

Dead cheap molecular manufacturing would not only change
the basis of all existing economies (and so threaten the
established interests of the powerful and existing social order)
but would also enable dead cheap manufacturing of weapons
(which would scare the proverbial shit out of the established
interests of the currently powerful).

Unfortunately (I should say in my opinion here I guess) molecular
manufacturing is a *double* pipe dream.

If it were technologically possible it would be politically
impossible. Contemporary humans would "Fermi paradox"
themselves.  Most contemporary humans (Muslims and Christians)
still purport to believe and act as though this life is some sort of
rehearsal for a supernatural next one.  Whilst that is so,
molecular nanotech would be directed towards weapons
construction.

Brett Paatsch