Molecular manfacturing Re: [extropy-chat] Re: riots in France

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 07:15:54 UTC 2005

--- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> I think that if it were considered to be an
> imminently realizable
> threat (or promise), dead-cheap molecular
> manufacture for the
> masses would be opposed by empowered minorities as
> though
> their existing privileges, their future economic
> aspirations and
> even their lives depended on it.

I think history and contemporary third world culture
definitely corraborates your assessment. There are in
nearly all cultures past and present, those who would
cling so tenaciously to power (even of the most
mediocre sort) through undermining the power of their
neighbors. Thus they view political power as
minimazation of every one elses utility function
rather than maximumization of their own.

Thus instead of trying to increase their power by
increasing the overall GDP of their own countries, for
example, many dictators are satisfied with simply
denying their charges of basic necessities. Take for
an example off of the top of my head, North Korea. Kim
Il Jong sits upon a motherlode of mineral wealth yet
he would rather let it lie unutilized in the earth
whilst his subjects starve rather than develope it and
risk having to share power.

> The first thought of empowered minorities would
> probably be
> how could they own and control this imminent
> efficient means
> of  manufacturing exclusively; the second thought
> when they
> recognized that they could not, would be that it
> would be
> better to ban it completely so as to ensure that
> none of their
> competitors or enemies would end up with it either.

In the land of the blind there is much eye gouging by
the one-eyed king.

> Unfortunately (I should say in my opinion here I
> guess) molecular
> manufacturing is a *double* pipe dream.
> If it were technologically possible it would be
> politically
> impossible. Contemporary humans would "Fermi
> paradox"
> themselves.  Most contemporary humans (Muslims and
> Christians)
> still purport to believe and act as though this life
> is some sort of
> rehearsal for a supernatural next one.  Whilst that
> is so,
> molecular nanotech would be directed towards weapons
> construction.

So very tragic it is that these people believe they
are rehearsing, not realizing that they are playing
improv to a packed house for a limited engagement.
Perhaps someday, we may be able to oblige these people
out of pity, by programming virtual heaven, hell, and
paradise and uploading them into their appropriate
after-life based on the reviews they recieve from
their critics in the audience.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"If you fear death, you are not living right; if you don't want to live forever, you are not living well." - a sparrow outside my window.