[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in France)

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 12 16:47:11 UTC 2005

This discussion reminds me of accounts of American
GIs arriving at isolated South Pacific islands during
WW2.  They assumed the price of a harlot was a typical
working man's pay for a day, which was about 15 dollars
then.  The premium harlots would get as much as 25 dollars
in Toledo.  The problem was a working man's wage there
was a dollar a day; it had been that for a hundred
years on the sugar plantations.  One can imagine the
economic impact.