[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in France)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Nov 13 07:23:42 UTC 2005

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 06:08:34PM -0800, spike wrote:

> If production is done by nanotech miracle factories,
> the result is exactly the same as offshoring, is it

It is nothing like offshoring, provided most individuals
directly own the nanofabs.

Problem with today's production is centralism (large
scale facilities offer better economies) and
specialization -- things degrade quickly is a place
loses competitiveness.

Scarcity still exists with nanofabs, but it only
concerns luxuries and weapons (even if anyone on the block
could fab a nuke they probably shouldn't be allowed
to, at least given current humanity).