[extropy-chat] against ID

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Nov 19 07:06:31 UTC 2005

At 01:36 AM 11/19/2005 -0500, gts wrote:

>>Well, you could have said it better if...
>
>Yes, I suppose so, if my purpose had been to criticize the finer points of
>Newton's religion.

Don't be silly (unless you think accuracy is entirely irrelevant).
Krauthammer was offering the soothing bromide that religion has nothing to
fear from science--why, look, here are these two great scientists who were
also believers! But Newton was *not* a supporter of the conventional state
religion of his day, as Krauthammer carelessly claims, and Einstein was so
far from being a conventional believer that it's more truthful to say
candidly that he was an agnostic at the edge of atheism. Confuting
"intelligent design" of the fundamentalist Xian variety requires more than
a comforting claim that hey, the three-in-one God in whom we can all
believe built the cosmos with a magic all-in-one spell that left no room
for belated hands-on interventions.

Damien Broderick