[extropy-chat] against ID

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Nov 21 15:39:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 10:19:10AM -0500, gts wrote:

> True for you and me, but not true in Kansas where ID has already scored a
> victory, and evidently not true in the Whitehouse, where Bush has spoken
> in favor of teaching it.

I realize that a few places in the world have turned to religious
fundamentalism, and hence self-effected a slide into insignificance.

I'm not sure what we can/should do about it, though. We can't
disassociate people from effects of their own actions. Nor should we,
it's a learning experience.

> Creation Science was easy to debunk, but unlike Creation Science, ID

It is impossible to debunk something with rational discourse what
hasn't been gained by rational discourse. Here ID is no different
from Creation "Science". It's just more lipstick on the same pig.

> cannot be attacked as derived directly from biblical revelation. Its
> proponents are deliberately silent about the identity and nature of the
> supposed Designer.
>
> The debunking of ID requires a little insight into the philosophy of
> science and a proper understanding of the scientific method, both of which
> seem to be sorely lacking in this country (present company excluded).

You've cut to the core of the problem. Scientific illiterates can't be
taught science against their will. Arguments from authority don't work.
What is left to do? Fight. If you lose, leave. That's about it.

> The political climate is also ripe for the teaching of ID, "For example,
> as CBS poll this month found that 51 percent of respondents believed
> humans were created in their present form by God."
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051028/sc_nm/science_usa_dc

So you see the roots of the problem are not in ID, it's just a symptom.

> Science educators are right to be concerned!

If they are overruled, the only correct thing to do is to pack
and leave.

Too bad about the kids, though.