[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 01:27:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:50:14 -0500, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> A molecule can measure a photon wavelength.

Yes.

> But it can't observe itself making that measurement.

Right, that would require self-awareness. I'm not suggesting molecules are
self-aware, just aware.

Robotic insects already exist. I wonder if they are in any fundamental way
different from real insects. Other than the difference in materials, and
the ability to mate and reproduce, aren't they basically the same as real
insects? If not, exactly how are they different?

To me insects look like little flying cameras.

-gts