[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 27 16:07:35 UTC 2005

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 10:54:23 -0500, John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:

> And how can people tell if their mates (or anybody else for that matter)
> are conscious or unconscious?

I'm thinking that what we call "consciousness" is nothing more than the
ability to ponder one's awareness, and that this is just a matter of some
extra circuitry.  Higher organisms have it, lower organisms don't, but all
organisms are aware. We can infer its existence in others when they report
about their experience.

Perhaps Rafal can help here. Rafal, I am assuming that a part of the brain
stores memories of sense experience and that another part retrieves those
memories. A brain lacking the second part would be analogous to an
unconscious camera: aware but not self-aware.

-gts