[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 21:55:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:30:39 -0500, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

>> >You are wrong, again.
>>
>> Only an insect could know I was wrong.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=insect+long-term+memory&btnG=Google+Search

I'm not suggesting they can't learn, Eugen.  Memory alone does not imply
the ability to recall qualia.

Show me the evidence that insects can recall their qualia in the sense
that I (and presumably you) do when recalling *what it was like* to
experience a color. This requires seeing something in the "mind's eye". I
doubt insects are sufficiently advanced to have anything like a mind's
eye. Probably they *see* images but cannot *form* them, i.e., probably
they cannot *imaginate*.

-gts