Spirits (was RE: [extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.)

Brent Allsop allsop at extropy.org
Mon Nov 28 22:51:25 UTC 2005

Robin Hanson,

> Whatever additional stuff you find that correlates with phenomenal
> properties,
> how will you know that *that* is qualia?  We can already look at brains
> and
> see that their activity correlates with phenomenal properties.  How will
> this
> new stuff be different, so that we have more confidence that it is qualia?
> Seems to me that it is turtles all the way down.

When, in your field of vision you see a patch of red, next to a patch of
green, next to a patch of a new phenomenal property that you have never
experienced before (say a tetrachromat is effing to you who is a normal
trichromat) you will know you are effing.  Even if it is turtles all the way
down (yea right!) who will care?  Right?

Brent Allsop