[extropy-chat] Creating software with qualia

Brent Allsop allsop at extropy.org
Wed Nov 30 21:08:55 UTC 2005

Hal,

> As to when the robot achieved his consciousness, I suspect that it also
> goes back to that original model.  Once he had to deal with a world that
> was part physical and part mental, where he was able to make effective
> plans and evaluate them, he already had the differentiation in place
> that we experience between our mental lives and the physical world.

No, you're categorically talking about something completely different here
that has nothing to do with qualia.

When you talk about the knowledge these robots have - whether it is of the
"physical" or "mental" they are still represented by abstract information
fundamentally based on only arbitrary causal representations.

We do very similar thinking things with similar different kinds of models as
what you describe these software robots doing.  The critical difference is -
all of our conscious knowledge or models are represented with qualia -
rather than abstract information represented by arbitrary causal properties.

Brent Allsop