[extropy-chat] Transhumanists' Needs

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Thu Oct 6 01:03:50 UTC 2005

Just a thought, did Maslow, a humanist, if I recall correctly, with
his hierarchy of needs, miss something crucial for transhumanists?

Do transhumanists have different essential needs from other humans
or humanists?  It is not clear to me that they do.

My impression of transhumanists as a class of people who behave
in certain ways and exhibit certain patterns of thought rather than
from reading the best essays and books written by a few of them
is that transhumanists seem to have a stronger than average desire
to live longer, personally, and a stronger than average interest in
technology as a potential means of achieving that end.

If the transhumanist aspiration for a longer personal life translates
into personal actions or behavours or attitudes more likely to make
transhumanists happy and healthy now, then the aspiration is likely
to be self-fulfilling.

In the contemporay world, some of the ostensibly healthiest most
well adjusted people seem to be amongst those most capable of
the greatest feats of self deception and outright hypocrisy in their
behaviour.  If that is the case, perhaps it is a good thing that the
generations do churn over.

If it were possible to pull a couple of hundred thousand Huns
from the time of Attila out of cryonics and put them back into
contemporary life who would advocate doing that? Who'd want
them running around with their world views? And without their
world views and practices would they be themselves?

Likewise project forward from this point a thousand years.

Who'd then want the likes of more citizens with the worldviews
and practices of those that were living in 2005 running amongst
them?

Brett Paatsch