Any progress towards AI at all? was Re: [extropy-chat] Futures Past

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 22:26:09 UTC 2005

On 10/9/05, Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> The impression that I get is that pretty much all that has been built up
> by AI researchers is a list of ways that don't work and approaches that
> have not yeilded any gain.

In 1998, there was a lot of truth in that assessment.

Can you think of any clear instances of positive *progress* towards the
> goal of building an AI?

Concrete progress, delivered results? No.

What we do have is this: in 1998, we hadn't the foggiest notion how to build
an AI. Now... we have a foggy notion. From the inside, that feels like a lot
of progress, though I can certainly understand skepticism and pessimism on
the part of outside observers!

- Russell