Any progress towards AI at all? was Re: [extropy-chat] Futures Past

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 15:18:11 UTC 2005

> I agree. But the point is that you don't need detailed simulations,
> just seeding an evolutionary optimization process from good guesses taken
> from scanned critters neuroanatomy.

Oh, you could try that approach, but I don't think it's going to work.
(Which is just as well, because you can't put Friendliness into brute force
evolution.)

Please show me the benchmark by which you see a human equivalent by 2015.
> (Could it be? Somebody is making a specific prediction, again?

Well, my prediction is that we _won't_ see a human equivalent by 2015,
however hard I try to prove myself wrong :)

You can't afford software in human equivalent AI. You have to actually route
> these
> spikes represented as packets, though a high-dimensional network
> implemented directly in semiconductor structures, if you want to achieve
> a realtime performance. Do the math.

That depends, but if you think you can talk a manufacturer into building
hardware like that, please go for it!

- Russell