[extropy-chat] Alternative to Cryo was The Amazing Cellular Repairdevice

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Wed Oct 12 01:37:50 UTC 2005

The Avantguardian wrote:

> --- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Whilst looking through my hardcopy files for the
>> Fahy article on the feasibility of brain repair I found
>> these diagrams on a "Merckle-Drexler scenario" for
>> a "Nanotechnology derived Cell Repair Device". The
>> source (which does contain the Fahy article, is an
>> Alcor publication from 1993).
>
> I found the Fahy article (a Fahy article?) Fahy et
> al., Cryobiology 2004. Will read it when I get a
> chance.

That's not the one I meant..

I've scanned the Fahy paper which he entitled (A "Realistic"
scenario for Repair) and put the pages on a web site.

This is an inelegant way (but quick for me way) of providing
them to you but it might be an easy way for you to see if you
care enough to read further.

http://www.entrepitec.com.au/images/_Fahy%20Disclaimer.jpg
http://www.entrepitec.com.au/images/1.jpg
http://www.entrepitec.com.au/images/2.jpg
http://www.entrepitec.com.au/images/3.jpg
http://www.entrepitec.com.au/images/4.jpg
http://www.entrepitec.com.au/images/5.jpg
http://www.entrepitec.com.au/images/6.jpg
http://www.entrepitec.com.au/images/7.jpg
http://www.entrepitec.com.au/images/8.jpg
http://www.entrepitec.com.au/images/9.jpg
http://www.entrepitec.com.au/images/10.jpg
http://www.entrepitec.com.au/images/11.jpg
http://www.entrepitec.com.au/images/12.jpg
http://www.entrepitec.com.au/images/13.jpg
http://www.entrepitec.com.au/images/14.jpg
http://www.entrepitec.com.au/images/15.jpg
http://www.entrepitec.com.au/images/16.jpg
http://www.entrepitec.com.au/images/17.jpg

> Yes. But my take on cryogenics is not to freeze people
> and to repair the damage later but figure out a way to
> put them in suspended animation without damaging them
> in the first place. It might not even require lowering
> their temperature to 0 Celsius.

That won't help folks that are going to die in the next
10 or so years, which is what I thought you said you
were interested in.

It's what a lot of them are interested in. Can cryonics
work for them.

Discussions about the technology might actually *reduce*
their peace of mind. But what is true is true and what isn't
isn't. Some people might prioritise their time differently
and make different choices about where to spend their
time and money if they think they are mortal and if they
come to accept that as a bed rock reality.

Perhaps its only when we have to face the total loss of
self that we can think about what we want our finite
lives to mean. Perhaps we will live more in the moments
we have.

> Are you familiar with
> the work of Blackstone et al., Science 2005?

No.

> Here's the link, I assume you have an institutional
> subscription:
> http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/308/5721/518

Yes. Thanks.

Brett Paatsch