The Amazing Cellular Repair device was Re: [extropy-chat] FuturesPast

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Thu Oct 13 03:51:55 UTC 2005

Eugen wrote:

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 04:57:49PM +1000, Brett Paatsch wrote:
> Whilst looking through my hardcopy files for the Fahy article on the
> feasibility of brain repair I found these diagrams on a "Merckle-Drexler
> scenario" for a "Nanotechnology derived Cell Repair Device". The
> source (which does contain the Fahy article, is an Alcor publication
> from 1993).

> Here's the device. http://www.entrepitec.com.au/page2A.html
>
> Here's the device shown against a background with red blood
> cells.  http://www.entrepitec.com.au/page3A.html

> More or less accurate scale.
> Compare with http://moleculardevices.org/howbig.htm

Yep, I do like the tech used in illustrating the relationships here.

I remember you posting this before but also with some extras
that you'd added yourself. I think they showed gears or pumps
from Nanosystems.

> I'm not sure what your point is trashing a single picture, done
> by an artist (these usually don't have scientific training).

My point is that the schematic is obviously wrong in terms of
scale because it can't possibly be the same device at both the
nano and micron scale.

I don't know if an artist produced the diagrams. They look to me
like the sort of hand drawn schematic that an engineer type
might quickly sketch out. The only names associated are those
of Merkle and Drexler.

A lot of people would not have good intuitive understandings
of the relative scales of biological structures such as red blood
cells and synapses because these things exist at scales that
are way below their normal sensory radar.

Brett Paatsch