[extropy-chat] A view of what politics is.

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sat Oct 15 04:43:30 UTC 2005

On 10/14/05, Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Jeff Allbright wrote:
>
>    I suggested that we think of politics as "social decision-making
> > applied to groups, expecially with respect to methods of influence within
> > those processes."
> > I'm getting stuck with phrase "social decision-making".
> > I'm wondering if it is an oxymoron.
> >

> Ah, perhaps this is the crux of the matter.
>
> That I'm getting stuck, that I'm wondering, or that social decison-making
> is an oxymoron?

Suggest you try each of your three possibilities in a sentence and see which
of the three might be worth discussing.

I might have cut out more than you wanted me in this reply but I prefer to
> focus on the crux of the matter.

Well, Lizbeth and I just got home from a wonderful Moroccan dinner and my
thoughts are more on belly dancing than dialog at the moment. [Added
Dionysian aside for benefit of Jean Paul who would like to see us lighten
up.]

In the part of the email that you cut, I did try to explain.

- Jef