[extropy-chat] Recipe for Destruction

Joel Peter William Pitt joel.pitt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 02:26:57 UTC 2005

On 10/19/05, Dirk Bruere <dirk.bruere at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/19/05, Joel Peter William Pitt <joel.pitt at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 10/19/05, Dirk Bruere <dirk.bruere at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > The only thing mass indicriminate mind-mind link will achieve is
> > > stupidity and self delusion on a scale as yet unseen.
> > >

> > I'm curious why?
> > Is this just a hunch or do you have some psychological reasoning behind
> > this?
> >

> Why do you think that one genius linking with ten morons will result in
> anything better than eleven slightly less dumb morons acting in concert? Why
> should rationality win if it's a minority sport?
>
> You think better decisions can be made by 100m people all voting on an
> issue?

No - but this isn't about voting, and it isn't about shared brain power or
anything like that. This is about an empathic link between individuals,
which will allow people to more deeply understand another persons views. If
these views are dangerous or harmful to society we can understand why they
feel that way. Then concentrate on the underlying causes when trying to
persuade them why their views are harmful and hopefully convince them, in a
non violent and mutually beneficial manner, of what is right.

Of course it works the other way too. Maybe we hadn't quite taken account of
something that only came to light after an empathically backed argument with
another person. It enhances learning and understanding.

-Joel