[extropy-chat] Perfect recall.

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Sat Oct 22 21:22:04 UTC 2005

Julian Assange writes:
> Storage costs are now such that I can record all my audio input, some
> visual input (say one frame a minute) heart rate and acceleration for
> the predictable future.
>
> Can anyone suggest a likeweight wearable computing device I can use as a
> recording backbone? It should be able to survive for 24 hours without
> batteries.

We had some discussion about such devices in March, although of course
technology moves so fast that there may be much better ones now.

http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/2005-March/014256.html
http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/2005-March/014282.html
http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/2005-March/014318.html

Some quotes from Robin Hanson, who has experimented with such a device:

> Many MP3 players come with a voice recording capability, and these usually
> hold much more for a comparable price than specialized voice recorders.
>
> I've been using a MPIO FY200: http://www.mpio.de/site_eng/fp_FY200_02.html
> but then switched to an Olympus DS2200:
> http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_product_lobbypage.asp?l=1&p=25&bc=11&product=1081&fl=4
> Not sure it is really better though, and thinking of switching back.
> MPIO is very compact, records more bits/sec, but is not robust and has
> terrible instructions and support.  The Olympus lasts twice as long before
> replacing batteries, and has a stereo mike, but that busted after a few
> months.

Hal Finney