[extropy-chat] Re: peak oil debate framed from a game theorystandpoint ?

Robert Lindauer robgobblin at aol.com
Fri Sep 2 17:30:06 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>Your chemistry book deals with converting sugar. You need to turn to
>the pages where it talks about the decay products of the starches,
>fiber, protiens, and other compounds that make up plant structure.

It deals with that too.

> Ever
>heard of swamp gas? It's methane.

People have been using refuse from sugar cane for fertilizer and feed
for centuries.  If you process the whole plant instead of refined sugar,
you get high grade protein feed and fertilizer suitable for replanting
and/or pig-feed which is useful out here where Lau Lau rules.  Ever hear
the expression "happy as a pig" - comes from the pigs eating the
still-slightly-alcohol-infused mash-waste from a distillation process.
Makes good tasting pigs too - good food comes from happy animals :)

> Comes from when man or nature dumps
>plant waste en masse. Now considered 12 times more greenhousey than
>CO2, and plants don't absorb it from the atmosphere like they do CO2.

Did your mother drop you on your head or something?  Alcohol or
biodeisel procession of plant waste renders useful byproducts such as
fertilizer and energy, making it smart and wise to convert.  Here in
Hawaii we in fact have a major problem with excess green-waste (stuff
grows so fast here you gotta cut your lawn twice a week just to keep it
below your ankles - I compost it and put it on my lawn but lots of
people don't).  If those plants were then either composted properly
and/or processed using a nicely bred yeast we could turn our wate
management nightmare into an economic boon.

Robbie