[extropy-chat] Any city is three days away from barbarism?

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Sat Sep 3 22:46:43 UTC 2005

BillK wrote:

>On 9/2/05, Dan Clemmensen wrote:
>

>>I cannot find the exact quote or attribution. I remember the quote as:
>>  "Any city is three days away from barbarism."
>>Does anyone know the actual quote?
>>

>I could only find one reference, a comment piece about the New Orleans flood.
><http://thetinear.com/>
>
>Friday, September 02, 2005
>Hurricane Katrina: Granting a Grim Insight into the American Society of Excuses
>
>It's not pretty, it's pretty grim. American society is only three days
>from barbarism.

Sorry. I initially started asking my co-workers about this quote on
Wednesday. I remember it form a decade or more ago.

I do not think american society is 3 days away from barbarism, Th effect
results from a cutoff of essential inputs from an ares hat cannot
produce the inputs itself. That can happen to a city, but not to the US
as a whole. A catastrophe affecting the US as a whole would have a
different dynamic. Depending on the catastrophe, the effect might be
even more horrific, but would likely take more than three days.

Essentially any group of people will revert to barbarism when truly
essential supplies are suddenly completely unavailable. The "three days"
is approximately the reserve for potable water in a city. Note that a
barbaric society will still contain  majority of individuals that
exhibit heroism, altruism, and all the other laudable human qualities,
but when your baby or your grandparent need water to live and there is
not enough water to go around, you are likely to act decisively to
secure water. This is true whether you are rich or poor, educated or
uneducated, smart or stupid, black or white, homo or hetero, religious
or atheist.