Ethics and evolution/was Re: [extropy-chat] Re: peak oil debateframed from a gametheorystandpoint ?

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 5 01:56:27 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Technotranscendence
>
> In this case, too, by "selling" the view, might not Spike be bringing a
> lot of bad consequences on himself?  After all, if he reinforces wrong
> views and then these same people, e.g., support bad policies doesn't
> that, ultimately, hurt him?  Yes, he might make a quick buck now, but
> what about the wider implications.  The world has enough foolish ideas
> in it already, why add to the mess?:)
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

Hmmm, this seems a little extreme.  What I had in mind
is to put some farm land to work producing fuel crops,
stuff that can be converted to ethanol or biodiesel.  To
make it pay, I would need to collect subsidies on it, or
at least take full advantage of the tax breaks that may
be available.

I don't feel that subsidizing that kind of stuff is a
good idea, but hey, I could be wrong.  I might have been
wrong about freon: they tell me the ozone hole is
decreasing.  I never did see how human use of freon
could have that much impact, but perhaps it did.  I
had a job in the early 90s phasing out freon in
aerospace manufacturing processes, so in that sense
I was cashing in on something I thought was bogus.  But
perhaps it wasn't so I suppose farming fuel crops today
is analogous.