[extropy-chat] Re: Ethics of contrarianism

Lifespan Pharma Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Mon Sep 5 01:51:21 UTC 2005

That is like when the options trader phones as the BSE was first
anounced and me going out
and putting 100,000 into options on the down side of beef so I could be
400,000 richer in a week,
Ethically I know that the market will be drained of liquidity for the
producer and that the consumer
will probably never benefit from the  beef market crash and I will know
that in some small
way I have contributed to both these things by taking a quick rake from
someone else's disaster.

Ditto with options trading on heating oil futures, natural gas futures ,
unleaded gasoline futures the day of the hurricane.

Frankly the ethical thing for Bush would have been to freeze the options
markets on those commodities and
put a 1/2 to 1 cent ceiling on moves for the month afterward.  Not the
free market thing to do but the ethical thing to do.

The farming subsidy game is just that a game.   Farm subsidies are more
like farm welfare.
USA farmers make as much by farming the program in net terms as farming
the farm some years, for some crops.

Where ethics comes in is if a large group of farmers secretly conspire
to raise or not raise a particular crop
and deliberately bid the opposite side of the market with a bait and
switch approach leaving non-farming
speculators holding the bag.  Of course , one of the merits of the farm
programs is that they prevent
that very thing from happening by making farmers more predictable.

I still see options and derivatives markets as more parasitic (in their
everyday use)  than enhancing the true market valuation of goods(as is
the commonly purported purpose for their existance).