[extropy-chat] Fill it in a pave it over

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Tue Sep 6 21:32:08 UTC 2005

--- BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/6/05, Adrian Tymes wrote:
> > Assuming you could buy out the entire city, or most of it.  While
> the
> > government may have the legal right to force the sales (see recent
> > eminent domain cases), even the US federal government might have a
> hard
> > time coming up with that much money (without giving many people so
> > little that it could credibly be called far below fair value/market
> > price).
>
> What's fair market value for land under six foot of water?

Potentially pretty good, if there's a general assumption that the water
will soon be pumped out - which does exist, and I don't think it can be
shaken unless the levees collapse much furthre, beyond all hope of
repair.

> There will be more hurricanes this season and more again in following
> years. NO could well be hit again soon, maybe with a cat 5 this time.

It would probably take something along those lines to do it.  Which
means that cloud (no pun intended) would have a definite silver lining.