[extropy-chat] Nuke the Great Satan

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 22:57:47 UTC 2005

--- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> crossing a border illegally = murder?  If we kept all illegal aliens
> out the economies of several states would probably be threatened.  A
> lot of cheap onsite labor would no longer be available.   Would it be
> better to regularize the process?  Sure.   But shooting people isn't
> the way to get there.

People who work as illegals here in the US do so not because it is
their only option, they do it so they can work off the books and not
pay US income taxes (or Mexican). If they came as legal temporary
workers, they'd earn up to 40% less doing the same work. If the INS
were serious about the border problem, they'd let them all through,
then collect taxes from them on the way back. In the fall, when lots of
illegals go home for the holidays, they bring home pickup trucks full
of things purchased with their off the books earnings (or bought on
easy credit and never paid off), so the Federales can't "collect" from
them when they go home through the gates (Mexican law enforcement
doesn't care whether they left the country legally or not).

Mike Lorrey
Founder, Constitution Park Foundation:
http://constitutionpark.blogspot.com
Personal/political blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com