[extropy-chat] codes in scam letters

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 08:08:29 UTC 2005

On 9/27/05, kevinfreels.com wrote:
> I did have a thought though. A better medium would be these stupid chain
> letters with nice little christian poems that say "forward to at least 10
> loved ones and you will be blessed". Or neat faked images of events like the
> tsunamis and the supposed "unknown" species of fish stranded on the beach.
> Or photos of US troops with giant spiders. Or groups of arabs supposedly
> holding anti-american signs that were written by hired translators that
> happened to be retired army generals. etc etc ad naseum.

Or photos of US troops with giant spiders?

Actually these are true photos.  :)
Well, strictly speaking they are not really spiders and the size is
exaggerated by being nearer the camera than the soldier holding it.
But you will still need a change of underwear if you meet one at
night.

See:
<http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/camelspider.asp>  and
<http://www.camelspiders.net/>

The wild fearsome stories about these creatures are told by the old
soldiers to new recruits arriving in Iraq to scare them. Then during
the night they shout to waken the new recruit and toss one on the bed.
 And much fun was had by all.  :)

BillK