[extropy-chat] I keep asking myself...

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 05:58:24 UTC 2006

On 4/3/06, Anne-Marie Taylor <femmechakra at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Why would anybody want a copy of themselves?
> (In any form)
> I've been hearing a lot about copying this,
> that or whatever and I couldn't help asking myself
> what would I do if I could copy myself and why would
> I want to copy myself.
> I would really like other peoples opinion on this.
> Thanks
> Anna
> Again, I'm still not really sure if this is ok to
> ask, and if it's not sorry:)

It strikes me as on topic for the list.

My answer is that I don't have a strong opinion either way on the idea of
having multiple copies of myself actually running at the same time, but I
definitely want the ability to make backups, for the simple reason that this
would ensure survival in the event that the currently running copy of me
suffered a fatal accident.

(To those of you who hold the thread or substrate views of identity, yes, I
know this is only guaranteed to be survival if one holds the pattern view.)