[extropy-chat] I keep asking myself...

kevinfreels.com kevin at kevinfreels.com
Tue Apr 4 17:38:28 UTC 2006

Not at all. There are several reasons. First of all, if you have a copy and you are damaged beyond repair - say in a plane crash or explosion, you can be brought back. Your only loss is the information from the period between the copy and the event that killed you.

Then there is the exploration factor. How I would love to go traveling the stars. How I would love to stay here. With a copy I could do both. Then at some point in the future, I could integrate the two and remember the experiences of both. How could that be a bad thing?

Power, money, greed? Well, greed isn;t so bad as long as you don't reduce the quality of life for others by being greedy. Money - again, not a bad thing. Power, well, as far as I know, the more copies you have of yourself, the more diluted your power becomes. Of course, you could gain power by making copues of "the perfect soldier" but by the time this technology is available, we are hoping such a soldier is either no longer necessary, or already capable of being produced artificially on a production line. In other words, there are more efficient means of accomplishing the same task and probably with better results.

Meanwhile, being in sales, I sure wish I had a few copies of myself now! 1 for marketing, 1 for working existing loans, 1 for sales calls, and 1 for complaints. I could make 4 times as much money. The results would put me besides myself!

  Copying myself seems like a very egotistical thing to do.  We already have
  enough people on the planet.  I could only see it being used for the wrong
  reasons.  Power, money and greed.  I could see how the army make like the
  idea or the business man might think it useful but I can't see how it will help
  humans or technology.