[extropy-chat] I keep asking myself...

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 02:08:05 UTC 2006

On 04/04/06, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dan Clemmensen
> > Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 4:42 PM
> > To: ExI chat list
> > Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] I keep asking myself...
> >
> > On 4/3/06, *Anne-Marie Taylor* <femmechakra at yahoo.ca
> > <mailto:femmechakra at yahoo.ca>> wrote:
> >
> > >     Why would anybody want a copy of themselves?
> > >

> > Please look at your subject line, and your question answers itself:
> >    So when you ask yourself a question, someone will answer :-)
>

> Ja that is one thing you could do with a copy.  You could have a *really*
> evenly matched chess opponent.  You could play some truly wicked gags on
> people.  You could make your boss think you work 24 hrs a day.  If you
> didn't mind risking the loss of the other you, you could have him or her
> pull some wildly dangerous but entertaining stunts.  I can think of a
> million uses for another me.
>
> spike

Well, I like your idea of having another you to try dangerous stunts,
but I reckon I'd make the copy and then do the dangerous stunts myself
(ie: in the primary instance). Much more fun from this pov.

But for that I have to subscribe to the pattern paradigm, as mentioned
above. I came to conclusion some time ago that your personal theory on
identity (esp continuous consiousness vs pattern) is really just
subjective, and you can adopt whichever one you like. I'm trying for
pattern, because it is way more fun. I think it's doable too... the
longer you examine the idea of identity, the more illusory it looks
anyway, so hey.

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *