[extropy-chat] I keep asking myself...

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 5 05:47:51 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Emlyn
> Well, I like your idea of having another you to try dangerous stunts,
> but I reckon I'd make the copy and then do the dangerous stunts myself
> (ie: in the primary instance). Much more fun from this pov...
> Emlyn

Sure but how could you ever be sure it was you?  Perhaps
you were accidentally switched when you weren't looking
and you didn't notice.

This actually happened to a pop singer by the name of Charlene
in the early 80s.  The result was possibly the most nauseating
song ever to make the top 40.  Some of the lyrics are as follows:

(I've been to Georgia and California, and anywhere I could run)
I've been to paradise, never been to me
(I've been to Nice and the isle of Greece while I've sipped champagne on a
yacht)
I've been to paradise, never been to me
(I've been to cryin' for unborn children that might have made me complete)
I've been to paradise, never been to me
(I've been to Georgia and California, and anywhere I could run)
I've been to paradise, never been to me...

Etc.  She copied herself, they were accidentally separated,
she went abroad search of herself in a most self indulgent
manner, never did find herself.  This has led to silly comments
such as "I am going in search of myself.  Should I show up
before I return, keep me here until I get back."