[extropy-chat] I keep asking myself...

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Apr 6 00:33:41 UTC 2006

On Apr 5, 2006, at 6:56 AM, Robert Bradbury wrote:

> But really these tasks are better suited to robots, which will be
> available by the time you are able to make copies of humans. In fact
> there will probably be laws against creating crippled human type
> beings.
>
> In *this* society perhaps.  But I see little difference between
> sending a "crippled" human, e.g. an engineered berserker, off to
> war and a designed and manufactured robot with human (or even
> superhuman) levels of intelligence off to war or into a reactor
> melt-down "hot-zone".

You would cripple humans or engineer berserker humans to fight wars?
Why?  How does such or suggesting such lead you any close to your
goals?  How does it lead toward a world you would want to inhabit?

> But since one of the CSPAN channels last night was playing back the
> testimony of some government official involved in the "crusade"
> against child-porn on the internet its fresh in my mind... and let
> me explicitly state I'm *intentionally* tweeking list members who
> think they are sitting on the moral "high" ground...

So you are attacking people or their sensibility just for fun?

> What is wrong with my creating a society with children engineered
> to never grow old (not too difficult as some of the genes which
> would produce some of these effects are already known) and whose
> "raison d'etre" was to sit around and experience pleasure when
> being diddled by older folks?

You are creating humanlike beings who are not really human and doing
so explicitly for a purpose that most humans would find offensive and
you are doing so with children which humans are hardwired to protect.
You have perverted the human genome to produce mere child sex dolls.
Do you have some problem seeing why that would be wrong?  Really?

>   Of course this would be done in my Atlantean cities floating in
> international waters, or perhaps because that meme set would offend
> most of the people on the planet, on a moon orbiting Jupiter.
> Wouldn't you feel compelled to enroll others into taking action to
> stamp out this kind of abhorent activity ( i.e. to replace my meme
> set where the engineering of perpetually young people in support of
> the "Religion of IPIP" is considered a normal church activity with
> an alternate meme set supporting the "Religion of not abusing
> conscious matter"?

I believe it is quite rational to have prohibitions against abuse of
sentient creatures.  I would not support attacking your perverse
enterprise but I would certainly find your activities appalling and
would have nothing to do with you.

- samantha