[extropy-chat] The NSA's disclosures on UFOs

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 00:54:03 UTC 2006

     I was pleased and surprised at the NSA's openness
on the subject. The contents of the link are the NSA's
public archive on UFOs including declassified
documents regarding U.S. radar contacts and military
fighter jet intercepts of UFOs. Lots of stuff is
blacked out which makes sense since they don't want to
release anything vital to national security but the
stuff that they do show is interesting although they
are not very current (1981 is as recent as they get).

There do seem to be a lot of reliable military UFO
reports as well as intercepted communications from
foreign military pilots regarding UFO encounters.
It is nice to see that the U.S. Intelligence agencies
DO take UFOs seriously although their official stance
is that UFOs do not SEEM to pose a threat to national
security.

That many reliable military personnel have had
encounters with UFOs, with collaborating radar
evidence seems to raise the Bayesian posterior
probability of their existense quite high in my
estimation.

One of the more interesting tidbits of information I
found was the Gersten piece that states that "during
October, November, and December of 1975, reliable
military personnel repeatedly sighted unconventional
aerial objects in the vicinity of nuclear-weapons
storage areas, aircraft alert areas, and
nuclear-missile control facilities at [lists several
Air Force bases...] Many of the sightings were
confirmed by radar."

   There is also what I surmise to be a bit of humor
on the part of the NSA as they include a clipping from
the national enquirer (NSA spooks ARE geeks too after
all). The one thing I did notice however was that my
desk top flickered a litle and I found a strange
process that was actively using my CPU in my task
manager. After I ended the strange process from task
manager, the flickering stopped so be prepared to be
"snooped" if you go to the site. But hey, if you got
nothing to hide, check out the site. It was eye
opening.

http://www.nsa.gov/ufo/index.cfm

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"A human being is part of the whole called by us 'the universe,' a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separate from the rest - a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening the circle of understanding and compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

-St. Einstein