[extropy-chat] The NSA's disclosures on UFOs

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Wed Apr 26 16:35:38 UTC 2006

Russell Wallace wrote:

> As for the little green men... they don't want us to know about them, so
> they refrain from making contact... then they do silly aerobatics
> displays within radar range of military bases... with their exterior
> lights on... if that's extraterrestrial intelligence, I'm not sure I
> want to know what extraterrestrial stupidity looks like :P

This is excellently put and went straight into my quotes file.

I do have one comment, which is a general writing tip:

It is a famous rule of writing that the strongest word, phrase, or
thought comes at the *end* of the sentence, paragraph, or essay.

Here, the punchline is "extraterrestrial stupidity" so it should go at
the end.

I would like to be able to put into my quotes file:

"As for the little green men... they don't want us to know about them,
so they refrain from making contact... then they do silly aerobatics
displays within radar range of military bases... with their exterior
lights on.  If that's extraterrestrial intelligence, I'm not sure I want
to see extraterrestrial stupidity."

It seems like a minor quibble, but this is a powerful argument
powerfully put, and it may be useful to quote someday.