[extropy-chat] Islam on defense?

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 2 23:53:40 UTC 2006

As no one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American people, no one ever went broke underestimating the gullibility of the American people either-- many, very many, Americans want to be fooled. Those in the Heartland are some of the most thickheaded people who have ever existed.
   Morally you have been correct and you always saw that the peace would be lost in Iraq when some of us thought the insurgency would be containable-- which can no longer be imagined. But beyond the Iraq war there's the question if we can know a world without imperialist war given that men are predators and that one nation's markets are in conflict with another nation's markets. Hypothetically of course the free market can operate without imperialist war but that may not be the case in actuality. The failure of the Communist crusade against imperialism (however cynical & brutal that crusade was) may have been a signal that the cuddly dog of the free market comes with the persistent fleas of imperialist war. As a coward and pacifist I don't like this at all yet Trotsky may have been correct when he said "you might not be interested in war but war is interested in you". There's something to that statement, putting aside that Trotsky was a Commie rat.
  War still appears to be the norm for men; peace the anomaly.
  BTW, the NSA handles 80 percent of intelligence today so the wiretaps are no surprise whatsoever. Wouldn't you be surprised at this point if the NSA wasn't abusing its wiretapping function?

  Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
  Sorry to have missed the original. But no, I am certainly not "free
from doubt". Furthermore, I think that the actual situation is well
known in Congress and the American people are being kept in the dark.
Else I do not understand why the Democrats have completely ignored so
many chances in the last six years to stand against the administration
and its policies for something quite different. I am not a fan of the
Democratic party (or the other major one either) but I wrote many
times to their leaders begging them to stand against many of the
policies of this administration including the NSA wiretaps, the Iraq
mess, various rank violation of civil liberty, the way 911 mostly was
not investigated, the Patriot act throughout its history to date, the
DHS boondoggle and so on. That they really never did suggests to me
that the game is rigged and that both parties are in substantial
agreement of how they are going to play things out.