[extropy-chat] META: Anti-Bayesian spam

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 00:42:32 UTC 2006

On 07/12/06, MB <mbb386 at main.nc.us> wrote:
> Robert writes:
>
> > Well, the following got through the gmail filters this morning.  I've
> > converted it to text and removed the GIF attachment (which was
> > presumably the real message).  Interesting how it seems to be
> > generating relatively coherent text.  I wonder if they are picking out
> > phrases from popular news items or simply generating semi-proper text
> > using phrases that score low on Bayesian filtering methods.
> >
> > At any rate the battle continues...

I've been receiving a lot of that spam. It reminds me of the output of
a markov chaining chatbot I wrote a while back called Nigel (Nigel No
Friends). I never look at the attachments, but sometimes I read the
text, because it's pretty funny. In fact, I had one of these spams the
other day that began "Hi Emo Cupcake". Emo Cupcake immediately became
my IM tag and will stay that way for a while. Thanks spammers!

Emlyn