[extropy-chat] META: Anti-Bayesian spam

Rik van Riel riel at surriel.com
Thu Dec 7 19:02:58 UTC 2006

MB wrote:

> I have occasionally checked out what my spam says, and I'm amazed. Sometimes I
> wonder if the spammers are reading my email, or at least the subject lines. I find
> keywords that are frequently used on my various email lists - and names, not
> necessarily ordinary names like Jim or Bob.
>
> It's rather uncanny and somewhat unsettling.  I am very greateful to have a filter!
> And I'm becomming more impressed with it as time goes on.

I wonder if the filter simply does not show you the spam
that does not match your regular email vocabulary, while
letting through some of the spam that does match, giving
you a skewed sample of spam to compare against the other
email?

Or maybe you simply remember the spam that matches your
other email better than the spam that doesn't.  A brain
is a very good pattern finding machine :)

--
Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
the best in the world, and those who believe it already is.  Each group