[extropy-chat] SECOND LIFE not working

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 14:24:51 UTC 2006

On 12/11/06, Randall Randall <randall at randallsquared.com> wrote:

> I'm sure there are lots of reasons why SL can't be expected
> to be as fast as WoW, yet, including having to download most
> of the world through the internet, while WoW has the basic
> world already on one's hard drive.  That said, on a fairly
> recent iMac, SL is essentially unusable so far.

Randall, have you any idea how large you disk cache size is in SL?  And are
you constantly exploring new scenes or revisiting old ones?  The question is
is there a difference between when you are looking at new data vs. cached
data?

I don't know if the Mac has it (though I suspect it easily could) but I find
the gnome-system-monitor (or "top" or "vmstat") to be highly useful in such
situations.  I can watch in "real-time" the CPU vs. Memory Use vs. Network
vs. Disk activity which in complex cases like this is what one needs to
diagnose the problem.  For example I can tell whether I'm using Direct
Rendering of graphics (taking advantage of the hardware) or using Indirect
Rendering simply by watching the CPU load of the program.

Windows also has a "System Monitor" program but it goes a little bit over
the deep end with regard to how much information it gives you (I've nearly
got a degree in Comp Sci and presumably understand all of the information it
can give you but I find dealing with it a royal pain in the a**).  The Linux
tools strike a relatively good balance to allow you to get a good feel for
what the machine is actually doing.

Oh, and for those not following the thread, Eugen is running a glxgears FPS
rate 7x faster than I am which in turn is 2-3x faster than one would get
using indirect rendering (this is on mid-range 2.3+GHz P4 & above
machines).  For a lark I might try glxgears on the 75MHz Pentium downstairs
that is about a decade old....  And "they" say the singularity isn't
coming...

Robert