[extropy-chat] cold fusion warms up

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 18:56:36 UTC 2006

On 12/26/06, scerir <scerir at libero.it> wrote:

> (Ok, there are even good physicists which believe in MWI,
> not as an interpretation of quantum phenomena, upon
> measurements, but as an _ontology_, that is: real worlds.
> Simple experiments can show, imo, they are wrong).

I will note the "imo".  This is good.  But how can one claim to assert or
disprove something which by definition is unassertable or disprovable?  One
can claim or assert a MWI (as I could assert there are 7 "Gods", no more no
less -- I just happen to like the number 7) and it would be have no basis
for a discussion as to whether my assertion is "true" in *this* reality.
You are stretching to bring alternate realities into this reality and you
have to define arbitrary laws of physics in order to do so.  In other words
you have to define or deduce the meta-reality from this reality.

There is a line from a comment made at one of the SETI conferences that I
read many years ago.  It still sticks in my head.  Paraphrased, it is "If
you give a physicist long enough they can explain *anything*."  IMO, it
would be far better for people (esp physicists) to admit "here is this line
-- we cannot now (and never will) cross it".

Robert