[extropy-chat] Is Many Worlds testable?

scerir scerir at libero.it
Fri Dec 29 00:08:45 UTC 2006

Damien Broderick
> This is probably a silly suggestion, but could
> a physicist do the observing directly, and then
> be dosed with Rohypnol or some other drug
> interrupting short term memory, preventing
> the memory of observation from going into
> long term storage?

It seems to me that the point is not the short/long
memory, and related consciousness, but the 'observing
directly'. If the observer measures and knows the 'which
way' every particle took, the pattern on the screen
is smooth. If the observer measures and knows nothing,
the pattern is fully interferential. If the observer
measures partially and knows partially the 'which way'
every particle took, he gets a partial interference
pattern.

The interference pattern depends on the quantity of
information the observer chooses to get (through
the measurement apparata).

Imagine a chameleon. On a green carpet his colour
is green. On a brown carpet his colour is brown.
On a green-brown carpet his colour should be
green-brown, I suppose :-). What is the true
colour of a chameleon? And what is the true shape
of a photon? Limited and finite is the available
information.

s.