[extropy-chat] Is Many Worlds testable? - Randall

scerir scerir at libero.it
Sat Dec 30 17:57:58 UTC 2006

>>Since the MWI picture of the 'splitting' is based
>>on measurements,

John K Clark
> NO! The splitting or merging has nothing to do with
> measurements or observation or consciousness;
> the great advantage of MWI is it doesn't have
> to explain exactly what any of those things are.

I agree that MWI has nothing to do with consciousness
and 'human' observation (Everett describes the role of
the human brain and its limited memory capacity
and related problems of storage, though).

It seems difficult to believe that MWI has nothing
to do with measurements. No measurements no probabilities.
Even that experiment by Deutsch is based on certain
measurements (quantum mind reads the 'path'; observer
reads the photographic film; etc.).

But if you are saying that MWI describes what is
happening everywhere in the universe, even in
the remote galaxies, even in the cosmic rays,
I agree.

s.